I have things to post. I do.
But Life, life-with-a-capital-L, has been happening. Not all good, not all bad, not all to us… but still. Life has been Happening. And so we have been busy, and I have been distracted.
So, I hope you will be able to make do with a short list of the more enjoyable stuff and also things, until I can do something more substantial.
- Our last social worker visit went splendidly. Our house was clean. I got That Baby bathed, did her hair, got her dressed nicely, and had her sitting quietly in front of her Little People video, reading a book. She was picture perfect. Until the social worker came in, at which point, she walked over to where the social worker was standing, put her head down on the carpet, did a somersault, and then proceeded to take her socks off and put them on her head. Repeatedly. With loud guffaws. So… yeah. We did fine. And the vast majority of our visit was about bitching and venting about That Agency anyway, so it all worked out in the end. But we did have to pay for our report.
- Swimming lessons continue to go well. Except for the fact that Stinkerbelle does NOT grasp the concept of “close your mouth” and therefore consequently gets a mouthful of pool water whenever we try dunking her underwater, or floating on her stomach, or when a wave splashes up over her when she is back floating… Not that she cares much, because she spends the vast majority of her time with her tongue hanging out trying to drink the pool water anyway.
- I am tired. We are on day 44 of our 100 Day Challenge, in which BDH and I have challenged ourselves to do 30 minutes of physical activity each day. Many of my days have been high cardio things, and my tired is legendary. But it is good. I like the sense of accomplishment of doing my time each day, especially on days when it was all I could do to drag my sorry arse down the basement stairs to where the treadmill is. And we have been faithfully blogging our efforts (elsewhere). But blogging and writing in a couple of different places has been spreading my creativity fairly thin these days, not to mention adding to the tired.
- That Baby loves walking on our sidewalk, up and down our street. We live on a hill. She prefers uphill, unless the sun is out, in which case she prefers downhill so she can run downhill and watch her shadow at the same time. One daily amusement is to go to the mailbox at the top of the hill. She refuses to go past one house about 4 houses uphill from us — digs in her little feet until I am tugging on her arm like a puppy on a leash — and so I have to dangle our mailbox key in front of her like a carrot in front of a mule in order to get her walking again. (I do not know what it is about that spot. Invisible baby force field or something.) Today, she was all about the shouting as we walk. She is very much into intonation these days. So today’s walk consisted of her shouting “OH” at various volumes, pitches and intonations. “OOH!” “Ooo-AH!” “OHO!” I swear to doG, it was like following a tiny pink-clad James Brown up and down the street. The neighbours already think we are nuts, so periodically I would shout “Good God!” or “HooWAH!” You know, for funsies.
- My knitting, she is OUT. OF. CONTROL. I am knitting a baby blanket for That Baby’s future boyfriend Rana’s little boy. I am knitting squares for the Knit-A-Square charity project. I am soon to start knitting baby blankets for a Botswana/Nairobi charity project. I have yarn waiting to start a blanket for BDH. Stinkerbelle needs another blanket. I do not have enough arms. I also need a really good Stitch-n-Bitch to start up here in town. One at a good coffeeshop.
- I am preoccupied on a more personal level these days, waving my fist in futile, incandescent fury at the powers-that-be on behalf of a friend who is having some serious health struggles. Positive energy is needed, but right now I am waffling somewhere between dumbstruck, uncomprehending, and really, really angry. I will get to positive shortly. Maybe. Positive, with a side order of determined. That is where we need to be.
So there you go. Life carries on as normal.