Okay, I am taking a page from Tafel’s book — er, blog — and doing a music meme today. Because hers kept me humming for HOURS, and I know there are some music fans out there in the group.
The rules (stolen again from Tafel):
Step 1: Put your iPod on shuffle.
Step 2: Post the first line from the 1st 25 songs no matter how embarrassing
Step 3: Add the artist and track once someone guesses both correctly.
Step 4: For those who are guessing, looking up the lyrics is CHEATING.
Step 5: If you like the game post your own and link to it in the comments.
SO your job is to guess the song and artist from the first lines below. Got it? (Rana, this should be right up your alley!)
Alrighty then, folks, here is my list:
1. When you come across the sea
2. How can I be sure when your intrusion’s my illusion
3. There’s an army on the dance floor
4. I got brass in pocket — “Brass In Pocket” ~ The Pretenders
5. I would come to you at night time
6. Young man there’s no need to feel down — “YMCA” ~ The Village People
7. Oh well who wouldn’t be a sailor, lad, a-sailin’ on the main
8. I sing myself to sleep a song from the darkest hour
9. My love she throws me like a rubber ball — “The Sweetest Thing” ~ U2
10. Giant steps are what you take
11. We’ll be fighting in the streets with our children at our feet
12. I got your email, disgruntled female
13. Visiting is pretty, visiting is good
14. Kids out driving Saturday afternoon just passed me by
15. The Mississippi Delta was shining like a National guitar — “Graceland” ~ Paul Simon
16. Standing in line to see the show tonight, another light on — ?? ~ Red Hot Chili Peppers
17. The Salvation Army band played — “Life in a Northern Town” ~ Dream Academy
18. Something’s coming over me, I’m so dizzy I can’t see
19. Tell me all the things you would change — “Distant Sun” ~ Crowded House
20. And if the darkness is to keep us apart — “Walk On” ~ U2
21. In the jungle of the senses, Tinkerbelle and Jack the Ripper
22. I missed the bus, yeah I did it again
23. Do you remember back in old L.A.
24. I am still living with your ghost — “Santa Monica” ~ Everclear
25. Could you whisper in my ear — “Slide” ~ Goo Goo Dolls
Okay. So. I have 3500 songs in my iTunes, so some things might be a bit obscure. Some clues: I am a child of the 60s, spent my 70s on road trips with my family, have a deep and enduring love of 80s music which then morphed into a love of alternative music and southern hemisphere music.
Well, I could not give away the store, people. There ARE some gimmes in there. But you’re going to have to work for some.
Alright. GO! Put your guesses in the comments. (Even if you think you know just one of them, go for it!)